Monday, December 20, 2010

H1b Appointment Confirmation Missing

Guanxi and snow

Christmas in its most - if not only - well esterior-commercial came here in Suzhou . I would say in a more visible, more colorful, more widespread and ostentatious last year. Santa Claus in the windows of all stores and now also on the glass entrance of the buildings in our compound . Often wrapped in glittering garlands or intercalated with red lanterns, as if to wish him to remember that yes, they did come, but here is China and its place is between and not above anyone. Like all of us in fact.

Trademarks Christmas came well before the winter and cold, which has done really feel for a few days, with lots of snow, morning run of platoons of guards in black uniforms to heat the blood before refreezing to hear in endless pickets at various locations located in our compound, mountains of panettone and Pandora (in the most bizarre change from the limoncello tiramisu gianduja that anyway - trust me not at all embarrassed or upset if let alone empathize with the clerk of Eurofood referring to the cake - it's really bad).

in favor of Christmas trees from China - which are spreading like oil - I would want to break a lance: they are all fake, often devoid of branches in modern reinterpretations that reproduce only the silhouette, except that in the Bookworm , but is then potted okay. It is to be hoped that they continue to be false, because otherwise all stop breathing.

entirely absent from the crib. They are Santas, reindeer, sleighs, gift items, now also stocking size as long as inhumane, but the Baby Jesus, Joseph and Mary did not arrive. Our ayi, who supervised the exhumation of the fake pine tree, the ritual of decorative and every evening at dusk ensures that the lights are on, I asked who those characters are at the foot of the tree. I tried to explain. He told me that a figure "good" like Jesus have it, too. It made me a name, I did not understand who he was referring. In return, he traded the cow for a sheep and the donkey was unable to give an identity of species, but in mitigation I must say that the nativity scene is from the Yucatan and the figures are somewhat stylized.

I then knew that this wave of Christmas decorations has its price (and I'm not referring to the cost of goods or grade). Who wants to give your shop or your local touch, Christmas has to pay. Again, no the goods or who prepares you to (it goes without saying that these will have to pay you). Must pay. Someone. Them. Call it Christmas duty.

And since Christmas is coming and that we all feel better, I feel compelled to express my when my ayi, just come through the door this morning, after answering the phone, tells me that her husband , who works for a transport company building, does not hold a special permit that allows trucks to move in this area "prestigious", was stopped by police and that in order to pass in order to deliver the goods, he had pay. 300 RMB. I understand that point, or disappointment, is not related to the fact that the Police agree to turn a blind eye pocketing money, but rather to the fact that this day begins with a tow and who knows, here in the evening ...

Provo - not only because it's Christmas - to make her understand that this system, which then essentially is a corollary of the common practice and the official guanxi, it is not all roses (the poor lose out anyway) and see with eyes is not even right. I use the word guanxi and is surprised that I know what it meant. He smiles. Yes, it works well here and maybe you ... in fact it happens to us, but the stakes are the rule of law a bit 'more defined, the consequences for those who do not respect them and is also found unpleasant. I feel we are slipping on a minefield. And when I unbutton a bit 'too much on China and its system spider she skates brilliantly and I asked: "Did you see how much snow has fallen in Italy?"

0 comments:

Post a Comment